AmericanMushrooms.com
aboutbasicscoolestedibles1,000+ mushroom photos!HOMElinksmedicinal mushroomsmorelsmushroom showmusicodorsschedulestoretiniesttoxic

image
Jack O'Lantern Mushroom (Omphalotus illudens, aka O. olearius)
Photo Copyright 2006 by David W. Fischer.
Omphalotus illudens, the common, toxic "Jack O'lantern" mushroom of northeastern North America,
is listed in many books as Omphalotus olearius. It is commonly mistaken for the prized chanterelle
(Cantharellus spp.) and is therefore a common cause of mushroom poisoning.
This mushroom grows from the dead roots of oak trees. It is often but not fully reliably bioluminescent,
producing a sometimes impressive green glow sufficient to clearly see the gills. It fruits in the summer and fall.
 
Additional photos: